What Qualifies a Site for Electronic Waste Recycling?
When you are ready to get rid of old computers and outdated electronics, you should turn to electronic waste collection sites. While there are dozens of companies out there that offer E-waste services, the state of New York has strict requirements for which companies qualify as electronic waste collection sites.
It is important to work with an established, qualified company any time you are recycling computers and electronics. A reputable provider not only will ensure data is properly destroyed, but that the items you recycle are truly recycled, and not dumped in landfills or third world countries.
What are Electronic Waste Collection Sites?
An electronic waste collection site, sometimes referred to as an E-waste site, is a fixed or temporary location where consumers and businesses can drop off old electronics for recycling. The waste is stored and then transported to a consolidation facility or recycling center. These sites can include:
- Dedicated sites – such as a business offering E-waste solutions
- Retail stores or outlets
- Municipal or private electronic waste collection sites
Make sure to contact a company trained and experienced in electronic waste recycling. Call us at 978 621 4358 or contact us online to schedule a pickup for your E-waste by ProTek Recycling.
Requirements to Qualify for Electronic Waste Recycling
A company or site must go through several steps to qualify as an electronic waste collection site. Just some of those requirements include:
- Completing the registration process. This is a one-time registration done through the state of New York.
- Submitting annual reports. For compliance purposes, the site must submit annual reports that detail their site activities.
- Proof of proper waste storage. Waste sites must use a fully enclosed building or secured container to store all E-waste until it is properly disposed of or recycled.
- One-year rule. A site can only keep electronic waste on-site for one year from the date it was collected. Then they must demonstrate how they recycle or dispose of that waste in accordance with state and EPA regulations.
- Comply with the disposal ban. Electronic waste collection sites cannot dispose of electronic waste at a hazardous waste management facility or any solid waste facility. Iinstead, they must follow federal and state rules for disposing and/or recycling materials.
Companies and consumers trust ProTek Recycling to collect and dispose of their E-waste because we are a qualified waste collection site in NYC. Request a quote for computer recycling today by calling 978 621 4358 or find out information regarding bulk and non-bulk pickups by contacting us online.