Most of us wait until there is a holiday or significant event to try to save money. On Earth Day, everyone does their part by using less water and consuming less electricity, but why not treat every day as if it was Earth Day? From recycling electronics to decreasing your carbon footprint, there are plenty of ways to save the environment and save some money.
Start today by recycling electronics. Call ProTek Recycling now to schedule a bulk pickup at your location.
How You Can Save Money and the Environment by Recycling Electronics
Treating each day like Earth Day can help the planet and most of the things you can do are free.
- Make Adjustments to Your TV – If you have one of those new flat panels, you may think that you are already doing your part, but there are still more adjustments to be made. Go to your picture menu and select the “standard” screen for everyday TV use. If your TV uses a quick start feature, disable it so that it does not consume energy overnight.
- Check Your Cable Box or DVR – Ask the company that provides your cable to give you an Energy Star rated cable box or see if you can switch to a whole home unit so that you do not have multiple units plugged in throughout the house.
- Switch Your Lightbulbs – Go from non-efficient lightbulbs to an energy-saving version, like LED and CFL lights.
- Check Your Game Console – Most game consoles rest in standby mode, even though they say they are “off.” This standby mode allows the console to download software updates, but draws power regardless if it is in use. You can change this setting in your menu.
- Water Heater – Lower the temperature on your water heater to 120 degrees instead of the usual 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Your water will be very hot and you save money.
- Use a Programmable Thermostat – If you are not home, why is your heater on at full blast? Keep an eye on the thermostat and make sure it is only keeping your home at “optimum” temperature when you are actually there to enjoy it.
- Washer and Dryer – Start using cold water instead of hot. Cold water detergents are just as effective at cleaning and sanitizing and save you a significant amount of money. Also, choose the highest spin setting on your washer to reduce how long you have to dry your clothes.
- Electronics Recycling – When you have E-waste, such as unused computers, TVs or smartphones, do not throw them in the trash. Instead, recycle them. You will reduce the waste in local landfills and ensure they are properly taken care of.
It is easy to do your part and save money at the same time. Request a quote for a non-bulk pickup from ProTek Recycling and we can help you with your electronics recycling and E-waste needs.
Call us at 978 621 4358 or contact us online